2015 has been a pivotal year for me. Every year may seem that way as it approaches, but this year has certainly involved huge changes in my life, personally and professionally. Not only did I change my job, but I took off to a new city full of new adventures and people. Although some of you know about my recent developments in Chicago, there was more than Chicago that influenced my life. As the end of 2015 gets closer, I’m sharing a few highlights and the best moments of 2015:
- Visiting National Parks throughout the United States this year took me to Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado and beyond. After taking a long road trip with my family through these states, I not only got to visit Devil’s Tower and re-live favorite childhood memories of watching “Closed Encounters of the Third Kind,” but I also got to explore Mount Rushmore, connect with memories of playing the Oregon Trail and think more deeply on Native American heritage while visiting Curecanti National Recreational Area in Gunnison, Colorado.
- Although I’ve left Colorado, that doesn’t mean I’ve lost the support of great friends and former co-workers. Whenever I was struggling, whether it was my career or personal life, I always had a friend show support, even when they didn’t know I needed it. One friend from California told me how much she understood the struggle of finding a new path and showered me with her best wishes in the hopes the stars will align for me soon. She didn’t know that earlier that day my tactics and approach to my career were questioned and I was continually told I was taking the wrong steps. Her words made all the difference in how I felt about myself and made me more determined to keep going.
- What I’ve loved more than anything this year, is reconnecting with family and friends. Most of the time I tend to be very independent and don’t always update family and friends on my latest decisions. After moving back in with my parents in Utah, I found the best thing I could do was reach out to family members who are in the middle of career changes and entrepreneurial journeys. They showed how much they cared, but more importantly how much they understood my choices.
- Developing new skills showed me one very important thing: I am capable of more than I think. I have a tendency to critique myself and be a perfectionist, but I’m finding that although I may not have certain training or experience, I can take on more than I previously assumed. Having worked in theatre for so long, I wondered if I had the skills to work outside of the business. For so long, theatre was the only industry I understood. However, I found my skills and knowledge from theatre went a long way. Multi-tasking, organizing, communicating, arranging and creative problem-solving go a long way in any field, and I find myself constantly showing my past career gratitude for my self-motivation and eagerness to learn.
- As I take on more adventures, I find it empowering when I realize that the only person who can truly tell me where to go next is myself. Others can continually criticize or doubt you, but in the end, it is you who determines your fate. Listening to other people I sometimes assumed I would never be able to pursue writing, photography or travel more actively, but through pursuing various opportunities in marketing and ethical fashion, I’m finding other people can only give you so much advice. In reality, you’re the one who has to determine what path is right for you, and realizing that you hold the power to determine your fate is what continues to build my confidence in my future, even if I’m uncertain about what’s next.
2015 has been a year of great change, but with it has also been a year of great opportunities to take on my fears, grow my relationships with my family and friends and show me I can take on more than I thought. I may not have a particular path determined for 2016, but the great things about 2015 are what I will take with me into the New Year. I may have to continue walking without a road that’s already paved, but that’s the excitement I’m looking forward to in 2016.
This post is a part of Weekend Travel Inspiration hosted by Reflections Enroute, The Crowded Planet, Contented Traveller, Albom Adventures, Safari 254, FamiliesGo!, and Malaysian Meanders, Our Beautiful World Link-up, and Flog Your Blog Friday hosted by With Some Grace.