It was another Saturday morning getting ready for a two show day of “Appoggiatura” at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts Theatre Company, until my phone buzzed and showed my latest Twitter notifications. Tapping my screen to find out the news, I discover one of my fellow sustainable fashion bloggers, Jennifer Nini, of Eco Warrior Princess, has nominated me for the 2015 Liebster Awards. What does this mean? It means Jennifer has recognized me and a few other bloggers for helping to positively make a difference in our own areas of interest. I’m honored and thrilled to begin my answers for this questionnaire that connects me to like-minded bloggers.
So, who exactly is Jennifer and what is her blog Eco Warrior Princess about? Jennifer is a writer for eco and sustainable fashion in Australia. She’s in the process of starting an organic farm business and her blogs featuring vintage clothing purchases, friendships with other bloggers, and a healthy lifestyle caught my eye while searching for other bloggers. After learning about her commitment to the Buy Nothing New Challenge, I shared my experiences with her about Tortoise and Lady Grey’s 20-Day Sustainable Fashion Challenge. From here we’ve connected on Social Media and I look forward to reading her latest posts that inspire my fashion and lifestyle choices.
The Liebster Awards
How do the Liebster Awards work? The thought behind these awards is to enable other bloggers to recognize each other for their work and help promote their blogs. Another purpose behind the awards is to nominate those whom you feel are positively making an impact in their chosen area of blogging. Once a blogger has been nominated, they can accept or decline the award. Although this may seem like a “Getting to Know You” chain mail, I see it as a way to celebrate the bloggers who have influenced my perspectives and inspire my thoughts about fashion and travel.
After a blogger chooses to accept this award, they must do the following:
- Write a blog post and reveal 11 interesting facts about yourself
- In the same blog post answer the questions designated by the blogger who nominated you
- You must also nominate other new bloggers for the Liebster Award
- Give your nominees a list of questions they have to answer
That’s it! Let’s get started!
11 Interesting Facts About Me
- I used to change my hairstyle every year, until the past two years. I would grow my hair past my shoulders, then cut it into a bob, then grow it to my shoulders, and then cut it spiky and short, which is where I am now. After a break-up I thought I’d try a Mohawk, but decided to dye it purple instead.
- I am of a multi-ethnic decent. My father is Italian and Croatian and my mother is Chinese. Unfortunately I do not know any foreign languages, but I would love to learn Spanish, French, and Mandarin.
- Someday I plan on visiting all of the countries of my heritages. I have visited Italy and northern China, but have yet to visit southern China and Croatia.
- My destination list is incredibly extensive. I’ve grouped some of my destinations into the top three continents that I want to: Oceania (New Zealand, Australia, Fiji, Indonesia), Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia, China, Laos, Thailand, Japan), and Africa (Tanzania, South Africa, Madagascar).
- I am named after a baseball team: the Brooklyn Dodgers. My dad is a huge fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers and was determined to name me “Brooke” and my sister “Lyn” so he could call us for dinner saying, “Brooke! Lyn!” Unfortunately for him, my mom insisted my sister’s first name be, “Ming” and not “Lyn.”
- My middle name, Thieu, is Chinese. It means “Natural Beauty” or “Beauty in Nature.” Everyone on my mom’s side of the family has a Chinese middle name.
- I’m lactose-intolerant and allergic to certain tropical fruits, but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying local cuisine and restaurants.
- I work in theatre as a Costumer for various companies in the United States. My work is always temporary and changes between running shows backstage as a Dresser/Wardrobe Crew and as a Stitcher constructing garments. I’ve managed to remain the majority of the year in Denver, Colorado, but I’ve worked in many different areas including Boulder, Colorado; Ashland Oregon; and San Diego, California. To learn more about what my work backstage is like, click HERE.
- Although I was technically born and raised mostly in Cedar City, Utah, I have also lived in Colorado about the same amount of time and identify with its love of nature and support of local products. I consider both Utah and Colorado temporary homes and as a wandering nomad who desires to travel more, I’m still looking for that place to call Home.
- I was raised Catholic, but I don’t practice any particular religion. I am very spiritual, however, and feel strongly that we are all connected and our actions affect one another.
- I love to express myself in many forms from writing to crafting to design. I love meeting others who are as passionate as I am for their chosen line of work.
- Why did you start blogging?
I originally started blogging on blogspot for family and friends as I started traveling for theatre work. My blogging was sporadic, sometimes my posts were a year or two apart. During my time in San Diego, California while working for the Old Globe Theatre, a vacation rentals website, Dwellable, found me and asked to link a few posts to their site. I began to think more about my writing, since it was a profession I had always wanted to pursue. During a trip to China, I found myself taking pictures and observing local fashion as well as purchasing local fashion magazines. From here I found I wanted my blog to incorporate fashion, travel, and culture, and with help from a co-worker and friend at the Arvada Center, I named my blog Passport Couture. Although I enjoyed visiting places and featuring my craft projects and fashion magazines, I still felt my blog was missing something. After my 2014 summer with Run by Rural, I found how Sustainable Fashion also applied to my interests and found it to be a great asset to my pursuits of travel and culture. Currently I continue to explore travel and culture with local fashion, museum exhibits, sustainable fashion, craft projects, and my work in costuming. I find each post is another avenue to me exploring and discovering myself.
- What is your favorite item of clothing and why?
Scarves. I don’t have a particular favorite, but I find I’m always drawn to them when shopping, I love wearing them, and I enjoy making them. I can exchange or give away other clothing items, but I seem to hold on to scarves.
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
Narrow-minded, ignorant, judgmental attitudes. Thinking about times I’ve been excluded or mistakenly perceived a certain way has caused me to not believe in ignoring people based on their religion, political opinions, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. What matters to me is how you treat other people, how you treat yourself, and what you contribute to the world. Do you strive to contribute worthy and good actions to the world and treat others fairly? Then let’s be friends.
- What did you want to be as a child?
I don’t think I knew. I still don’t know in some ways, but I’m at peace with that. I recall wanting to be a Marine Biologist, most likely because of “The Little Mermaid.”
- What is your favorite TV series?
Right now, “Sherlock BBC.” Anthony Bourdain’s “No Reservations” is also another fav.
- Who was your celebrity crush as a teenager?
I remember liking J.C. Chasez from ‘NSYNC and Drew Lachey from 98 degrees.
- If you were on death row and the Warden asked you what you wanted as your final meal, what would it be and why?
Spaghetti and Meatballs, because it is my favorite comfort food. I could eat it everyday.
- Bag or shoes?
I actually have an incredibly hard time finding both. I’d probably say bag since it’s such an essential item to carry everything.
- If you were granted one wish, what would you wish for?
This is a hard one. I would probably give Genie his freedom, like Aladdin.
- What three words would you use to describe Eco Warrior Princess?
Inspirational. Enjoyable. Eclectic.
My Nomination for the 2015 Liebster Awards:
Each nominee I’ve selected for their efforts to change how people travel, dress, and live. They continue to inspire and challenge me with their unique point of view on their area of blogging.
Lara and Terence (Granturismo)-http://grantourismotravels.com/
Yarina (Fashion Hedge)-http://fashionhedge.com/
Elizabeth (The Note Passer)-http://thenotepasser.com/
Summer (Tortoise and Lady Grey)-http://www.tortoiseandladygrey.com/
My Questions for Bloggers I’ve Nominated
- What inspiration do you want to leave readers with after they read your posts?
- Why did you start your blog?
- What is your favorite place in the world and why?
- Who are the top five people you would like to meet (living or dead)?
- What book do you think everyone should read and why?
- What do you think of when you think of Passport Couture?
- What food have you fallen in love with while traveling?
- What is one thing you cannot live without?
- What difference do you hope to make on the world?
Thank you Jennifer for nominating me and continuing to inspire me with your ideas for a healthy lifestyle and wardrobe.
To all of the bloggers I’ve nominated, I look forward to reading your responses if you chose to accept your nomination. I will enjoy getting to know you better.